Solution Focused Brief Therapy
Solution Focused Therapy (SFT) is a Revolutionary Approach
Helping People Identify, Create and Live the Kind of Life They Hope for.
If You Always Do What You Always Did, You Will Always Get What You Always Got ~ Albert Einstein
There are really only two types of therapy. The most common one is problem focused, the other focuses on building solutions.
While talking about your problems endlessly might ‘feel’ releasing, all you are really doing is allowing the problem to grow stronger, become easier to think about and encode deeper in your brain.
What you focus on grows…positive or negative makes no difference, this is a law of physics.
Helping you find solutions to your problems by focusing on where you want to be rather than where you have been — hence the name Solution-Focused Brief Therapy.
Each of us has within the ability to formulate and execute our own solutions resulting in observable, measurable results, even after only one therapy session.
Sometimes it takes a Professional to ask you just the right questions to uncover these hidden answers and solutions in order to get you back on track.
It’s a simple idea, but proven again and again, and is a universal truth, that what we focus on gets bigger. So, focusing on the problem/s not only makes them grow, it also encodes it deeper into your brain.
In my solution-focused therapy sessions I can teach and show you a new way to think and imagine yourself in the future the way you want to be.
The Brief part of the name suggests that unlike many traditional forms of therapy (problem focused) you can achieve your goals very quickly, in most cases with very few sessions.
Some of the many Benefits of Solutions-Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT):
SFBT can help you to:
- Feel happier, lighter and more energetic
- Understand what you need to do more of
- Feel calmer
- Find relief from (traumatic) stress symptoms
- Feel better – recover from fears and phobias or heal trauma
- Find relief from previously ‘bottled up’ feelings
- Enhance your social skills
- Bring your essential emotional needs more into balance
- Increase your awareness of your innate and acquired resources
- Increase your confidence and self esteem
Treating you differently
A Solution-Focused Brief Therapist obviously works in a very solution-focused way (as the name suggests) and you can expect the following kind of experience:
- make counselling/therapy as painless as possible
- not dwell on the past unnecessarily
- aim to help you to feel better after every consultation
- give information and advice if needed
- explain how your brain works with regards to emotion
- help you to access the same relaxed state as when you dream
- increase your knowledge without jargon or ‘psychobabble’
- use a variety of techniques as appropriate
- calm high levels of emotions as soon as possible
- encourage new understandings and solutions
- adapt the therapy flexibly and uniquely for you
- avoid using a ’preferred’ theory regardless of your problems
- support you when difficult feelings emerge without dwelling on them
- be aware of research in psychology, neurobiology and counselling
- help you overcome your problems in as few sessions as possible
- consider the effects of therapy on the people close to you
- teach you to relax deeply
I am always open about my thought process and the approaches I use because I consider the work to be collaboration.
Here are some of the issues I work with:
- Emerging from depression
- Becoming less anxious, more relaxed, more confident
- Healing traumatic memories that may be inhibiting or upsetting you in the present
- Improving your relationship with yourself
- Improving your relationship with others
- Taming a harsh inner critic
- Mastering panic attacks
- Overcoming phobias
- Grieving in a healthy way
- And other issues as well
Regardless of the issues, my overall goal is to provide a place that is welcoming and confidential where you can engage with a skilled psychotherapist to create positive changes in your life.
My Unique Approaches
I don’t confine myself to any single theoretical orientation. I utilize a variety of approaches favouring brief solution focused (BSF) methods
My practice is influenced by Positive psychology, Human Givens psychology, Solution-Focused Brief therapy, Internal Family Systems, Focusing, Emotional Intelligence and Positive NeuroPlasticity Therapies.
It's All About You
I may have a favorite theory or therapeutic technique that I tend to use more often or fall back on, but I am always willing to and often use all that are available to me.
After all, the key here is to help the client as quickly and as effectively as possible ~ Not to pigeon-hole them into some set way of looking at all people, whether it works for them or not.
Contact me if you could benefit from a therapist who will work with you to find the solutions that YOU want, efficiently and effectively.